Head Coach of Kogi United, Ishaya Jatau has expressed disappointment at his side’s 0-2 loss to Shekarau Babes in their Matchday Nine of Nigeria National League, NNL, encounter played on Saturday.
A goal each from Abubakar Jados and Abdulrahman Mohammed proved decisive for the Kano based club as they saw off a challenge from United.
Jados headed in a cross from Ibrahim Musa with just eight minute into the game to put the Babes in front.
United would later fail to convert their scoring chances with Musa Jatau who first had his goal bound shot blocked.
Samson Pius, also after had his shot parried for a corner kick with a one hand safe from goalkeeper Clement Anthony.
The second half was almost similar to that of first with United let slip a run from Shekarau Babes while waiting for the centre referee Sanusi Mohammed to signal for a foul after Sanusi Pedro was pushed.
Abdulrahman Mohammed would later smash in the final kick that beat United keeper, Ogundare Detan to double the lead for the home side.
Ishaya Jatau who admitted that the game was one of his side’s below par performance noted that Kogi United were unfortunate not to convert their chances.
He said the team would however concentrate on their next double home games with the a fresh positive approach and the belief of ending the season well.
“Its a bad day for us today, this isn’t what we bargained for, the boys couldn’t get their rhythm especially in the formative stages of the halves, but its one of those days where you would push hard but couldn’t reach the target,” begin Jatau.
“We were also unfortunate with our missed chances, its difficult to get a good result when you fail to make such opportunities count and those we conceded were too cheap for our standard.
“That’s has to be put aside quickly and we must focus on our next games which are very important and must be won, I’m confident and believe we will finish the season well,” the former Inwanyanwu Nationale striker said.
Kogi United are still on Nine points and would have a chance to moving up the league table with double home games, first with hosting of Mighty Jets next Saturday in Lokoja and Sokoto United a week later.
The Guyana Amazon Warriors claimed a tight victory in the 2016 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) against the Barbados Tridents at the Central Broward Stadium in Lauderhill, Florida.
Fine half centuries from Chris Lynn and Jason Mohammed proved to be decisive as the Tridents were left to rue a disappointing batting display. The win meant the Warriors overtook the Tallawahs at the top of the table while simultaneously ending the Tridents’ hopes for qualification.
The Tridents elected to bat and got off to a steady start, reaching 38 at the end of the PowerPlay for the loss of Ahmed Shehzad for 6, caught by Jacobs off the bowling of Dwayne Smith. At the other end Steven Taylor showed increasing intent, striking seven boundaries before he fell for 37 to a Chris Lynn catch. Local boy Taylor had looked in good touch, scoring his runs off just 21 balls before he became Adam Zampa’s 14th wicket in what has been so far an outstanding Hero CPL 2016 for the talented Australian leggie.
The fall of Taylor stalled any momentum, however, and when the Tridents reached the ten-over drinks interval having posted only 60, the Warriors could be confident of restricting their opponents to a low total. The Tridents’ hopes, meanwhile, rested on the shoulders of Shoaib Malik and captain Kieron Pollard, who had promoted himself up the order to try to increase the scoring rate.
Both batsmen were finding it difficult to get the ball away in the face of tight Warriors bowling, however, and boundaries continued to be in short supply as the overall run rate hovered at around a run a ball.
Gradually, though, Pollard began to find his touch, taking two fours off Zampa’s third over before swivelling to hit a Hero Maximum as part of a Chris Barnwell over that went for 17. Malik gradually began to score with more freedom, too, as the pair put on 81 for the second wicket.
However, both batsmen fell within two balls of each other to put the Tridents back into difficulty. First Malik holed out to Chris Lynn off a Rayad Emrit slower ball for 35 before the Warriors claimed the big wicket of Pollard, caught by Jason Mohammad at deep square leg to give Sohail Tanvir his seventeenth wicket of Hero CPL 2016.
The Tridents skipper had scored 47 off 36 balls, the dismissal leaving his team on 131-4 before some late hitting, aided by two dropped catches in the final few deliveries, finally got the Tridents up to 158-6, a score which had perhaps looked unlikely earlier in the innings.
The Tridents needed a strong bowling performance to keep their qualification hopes alive, and they got off to the best possible start as Raymon Reifer bowled Dwayne Smith with a first-ball inswinger to shatter his off and middle stumps. It was a beautiful delivery, inducing Smith to play outside the line of the ball as it nipped back in between bat and pad, and the Tridents’ tails were up.
New batsman Chris Lynn quickly settled, however, striking four boundaries in the first two overs together with the first Hero Maximum of the innings as he overtook Hashim Amla at the top of the Hero CPL 2016 Leading Run Scorer table.
With 27 runs coming from the first two overs Pollard called on his spin bowlers in an attempt to slow the scoring. Both Akeal Hosein and Imran Khan started well, with the latter unfortunate not to pick up a wicket in his first over as Pooran missed an opportunity to stump Nick Maddinson as the New South Welshman looked to advance down the wicket. Khan was to gain revenge in his second, however, as Maddinson holed out to Ahmed Shehzad, leaving the Warriors on 44-2 at the end of the PowerPlay.
After his explosive start Lynn had settled into a steadier rhythm and was content to work the ball around the field for singles as pace off the ball proved to be the best tactic for the bowling side, Khan finishing with 1-16 off his four overs. The Tridents desperately needed wickets, however, and when Lynn began to attack again, hitting two Hero Maximums off David Weise’s first over, the game began to slip away.
The thirteenth over proved to be significant with 20 runs coming from it, Lynn swiping a boundary to reach a 37 ball fifty before Jason Mohammed struck two huge Hero Maximums to bring up the fifty partnership.
The wicket of Lynn, caught by Pollard at long-off from the bowling of Reifer for 57 (44) – quickly followed by that of Anthony Bramble, plumb to a Pollard slower ball – gave the embattled Tridents a glimmer of hope, but with wickets in hand the Warriors were always in the driving seat. Consecutive sixes from Chris Barnwell and Mohammed calmed any nerves in the Warriors dugout, the latter reaching a fine half century thanks to another Hero Maximum in the penultimate over before winning the match in some style with another as the target was reached with three balls to spare, Mohammed finishing with a fine 57 off 41 deliveries.
The Warriors take their place at the top of the Hero CPL 2016 table, at least until tomorrow, but for the Tridents the tournament is over for another year.
UPCOMING LAUDERHILL FIXTURES (all times local): 31 July – Trinbago Knight Riders v St Kitts & Nevis Patriots (midday), Jamaica Tallawahs v St. Lucia Zouks (4pm).
TICKETS: The Ticket Office at the Lauderhill Performing Arts Center, located next to the Central Broward Stadium, is selling tickets to enable fans to physically buy tickets in advance of the biggest party in sport this summer. Tickets are also on sale from Tropics Restaurant (Pembroke Pines), Island Getaway Roti Shop (West Palm Beach), Lucky City (Margate), Kingston Delight (North Miami), Caribbean Choice Bakery (West Palm Beach) and Joy’s Roti Shop (Lauderhill). Tickets are on sale now for all games across the Caribbean and Florida from http://www.cplt20.com.
CAS rejected appeals of KSF and ASC against ISSF and IOC on 13th Asian Shooting Championship’s Olympic qualification status
On 27 July 2016, CAS rejected the appeals and all other claims filed by ASC, KSF and three athletes against the ISSF and the IOC regarding the Olympic qualification status of the 13th Asian Shooting Championship.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) rejected the Appeals filed by the Kuwait Shooting Federation (KSF), the Asian Shooting Confederation (ASC) and three athletes against the IOC and the ISSF regarding the Olympic qualification status of the 13th Asian Shooting Championship.
Two days before the beginning of the 13th Asian Shooting Championships ASC informed the ISSF that the ISSF Technical Delegate, Mr Yair Davidovich, would not get a visa to enter Kuwait to supervise the competition.
The ISSF informed the IOC about this matter which decided to withdraw the Olympic qualification status of the Asian Shooting Championships because of a discrimination in violation of the Olympic Charter.
The ISSF confirmed the IOC’s decision also because according to the ISSF Rules quota places for the Olympics can only be obtained in ISSF supervised competitions. The 13th Asian Shooting Championships however was not supervised as Mr Davidovich was not allowed to enter Kuwait. In addition, the ISSF decided that an alternative qualification championship should be held in India.
ASC, KSF and three athletes filed appeals against all these decisions in front of CAS. Furthermore, KSF claimed that CAS should order the IOC and the ISSF to compensate it for the costs for the organization of the 13th Asian Shooting Championship in the amount of ca. 1,347,000 EUR.
On 27 July 2016 the CAS rejected the appeals and all other claims filed by ASC, KSF and the athletes against the ISSF and the IOC. Hence, all qualification results obtained in India remain valid.
It is no longer news that Gianni Infantino, the President of Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) and the federation secretary Fatma Sanoura, were in Nigeria this week on a two-day working visit at the invitation of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) led by Amaju Pinnick, but what are the gains of his visit? Will it benefit Nigerian football in anyway? Or was it another jamboree?
It is the purview of the football federation to invite anybody or organisations to its functions or otherwise more or less the world football governing body, but the timing must be right and proper with no doubt of the motive from any quarter.
Infantino said in his address, “I am happy to be in Nigeria the giant of football” and everybody at the gala clapped but I asked, who is deceiving who? Is he talking of my dear country who cannot boast of a functional and well equipped federation office? A country whose football is going doing the drain? A country where the welfare of coaches and footballers is not a priority? A country where hiring of a national team coach is harder than its presidential election? It’s a shame that we all know this and some people were deceived by Infantino statement.
It is a shame that we failed to qualify for the African U20 nations cup in Zambia next year after beating the Sudanese in there backyard primarily because the players were not motivated, they even went on strike days before the match, Samson Siasia cried out this week that the federation is owing him five months salary while the Olympic football team lacks good welfare and preparation towards the games, the senior national team is now ranked 70 in FIFA/Coca Cola rankings with no substantive coach, the last head coach of the Super Eagles, Sunday Oliseh is still neck deep in dispute with the federation over unpaid salaries and all they could think of is hosting the FIFA president with over 17 other football association presidents mainly from Anglophone African countries, who picked the bill for this so called “hosting”?
Is it the NFF that cannot pay coaches salaries or see to the welfare of the players? This lack of direction and focus can only happen in our dear directionless NFF.
One of the so called analyst on a popular one hour daily sport show on radio said one of the gains of the visit is that Infantino announced that Africa will be granted additional slots when the world cup is increased to 40 teams and I smiled at how shallow that statement was, what manner of gain is that? There is no way the number of participating teams in the world cup will be increased and Africa and Asia will not get increased slots, no possible way, please say something else, he needs not come here before that is a certainty.
Its was also mentioned in some quarters that the FIFA president visit with the 17 Anglophone FA presidents is to put Pinnick in good position for African football politics, again I laughed out loud (LOL), are we talking about same Confederation of African Football that Issa Hayatou is heading? Please dear sir/madam come with a different line because the absennce of Issa Hayatou on the FIFA president’s entourage is already a defeat for Pinnick, we all know that the Francophone countries control the beautiful game in Africa and anything you want to do you must put them in the picture, else its dead on arrival.
The only gain I can see in this ill advised visit is that it exposes the fact that the federation is not cash strapped, so it must as a matter of urgency clear all back log of salaries owed various coaches and allowances of all teams so that they can be motivated and ready to play for the nation with all there heart.
In all fairness there is no gain of any colouration in the visit, it is more of a jamboree and a waste of public funds which should have been channeled to a good course especially players and coaches welfare, the NFF should start getting its priority right now and make our football great again.
“A man whose roof is on fire doesn’t run to extinguish another man’s burning house”